Just come back from the biggest International Airshow which I covered for the first time this year! Next Weekend I'm of down south for a Naval Airshow! Summer has arrived.
Spent my time on one of the 3 First Aid posts where we saw around 40 patients each day. Only one particularly interesting case to talk to you about unfortunately guys!
During the Sunday, the 3 of us manning the post (1 nurse had left earlier in the day leaving us with myself as Advanced First Aider, A technician and a nurse) when a member of RAF personnel came in telling us there was a elderly male who "wasn't feeling himself", I grabbed my bag and went for a brisk walk (of course we never run!). On arrival I was presented with a 68yo Male sat in the driver's seat of his car, ready to drive himself and his wife home. He was extremely drowsy, salivating, had a runny nose, his hands were reddened and swollen, his radial pulse was un-locatable. He has dressed, seeping wounds on his legs from chemotherapy. When asking him questions, his responses were very mumbled and at time incomprehensible. I immediately radioed for one of our ambulances to get him to our Casualty Clearance Centre (CCC) for further assessment/treatment.
Now I knew i had a few minutes to gain as much information as I possibly could. I put my pulse Oximeter on his finger, Sats 98% pulse 112...but ignored this due to his shaking and the trace showing it extremely irregular. I then had a feel of his arms and neck, extremely warm to touch so took his temp through my tympanic thermometer...40.4 degrees. Immediately got the RAF member to stand a bit up the road to wave down the ambulance so there was no chance he'd miss us.
He was rushed into the CCC where he was taken through the Decontamination unit (a big shower unit!) and when I heard back his temp had dropped 2 degrees and was a lot more alert!
That's my weekend done! Can't wait for the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment